Tuesday 8 April 2014

Moving and settling

I’ve been in Oman for just over a month now and other than using the cliche term “rollercoaster” I don’t know how else to describe the process of moving and settling into a new way of life.

Looking back, I didn’t really prepare myself well for the move, that said I also don’t know what I would have done differently (other than pack a lot of rich tea biscuits).

My preparation consisted of booking my flights and packing, in a very haphazard way, what I thought was essentials. After two 23kg bags, my husbands remaining luggage allowance and that of family friends also travelling with us, I was surprised at just how little I actually had.
What I did regret not packing the most was more home comforts, things like my favourite movie or TV show to watch when I was feeling low. I also didn't pack any sort of decoration, something that would immediately give my new room and more cosy and familiar feel. My packing was very practical so I immediately felt a little lost without all my “stuff”.

I knew I was going to miss my family and friends but access to the internet immediately helped with that. What I didn’t expect was how insecure I would feel, I considered myself a confident and independent person living in London but suddenly something that should have been as simple as doing the weekly shop became an overwhelming task. Not recognising my standard brand of washing powder, olive oil and other standard household things meant I had to go through that experimental phase again of figuring out what I like and I couldn’t rely on the comfort of just knowing what was good. Writing it down now, it seems very silly but I know that it will probably take more time for me to feel truly settled and not feel so insecure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin